Book Club: Favorite Reads

May 17, 2017

I love how books are also called the food for the brain.

Throughout my prepubescent years, I grew a certain admiration for getting lost and invested within the pages of a book. The first ever book I got my hands on was the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. You'd be surprised to know that I still have all seven books with me until now. 

As the years went by, my book collection grew. I am quite picky when it comes to the books I read, though. I don't particularly like reading those cliche romance novels where the plot is all the same. But I'm not judging, I guess its just a matter of preferences.
I thought that it would be a good idea to post something that is not fashion related here on my blog for a change; something different but something really dear to my heart. I decided to start a series here called "Book Club," where I'd share my current reads, favorite books, and maybe even give my own review on certain books.

This post shows just a few of my favorite books that I've read throughout the years. And quite frankly, I had a hard time narrowing down my favorite books since every single book I own has touched me one way or another.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This is novel, oh my goodness, where do I start.? I think its the topic about death, (in the least sadistic and creepy way) and Liesel's profound fascination and love for words that got me hooked instantly. Yes, it talks about death but the author addresses it in a very poetic way, it almost feels like he's trying to convince you that death isn't such a bad thing after all. As for Liesel's love for books and words, I can vividly see myself in her. My favorite line from the book would have to be:

"All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you.
I am haunted by humans."
-Death
Its Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
Another favorite of mine. This is very dear to me because this was the book I bought when I went to Manila to see The 1975, and like all the songs I listen to during my trips, this book will always remind me of Manila. 

Apart from that, this book opened my eyes to the reality of mental health, and being very sensitive to people who has any type of mental illness. I love the character development in this book. You can read through the pages how the main character transformed from a person he's not proud to be, to a person who has discovered his worth in this world. As soon as I finished the book, I looked up Ned Vizzini online, only to find out that he suffered the same fate as the characters he wrote about. I'm speaking in past tense because he ended his life in December of 2013. He may be gone but his writing lives on.
Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan
This a very easy read, but somehow this makes it to my top 5 list of favorite books. I absolutely adore David Levithan as a writer. 

This book is set in New York City during the 9/11 attack. There is something about this book that I can't quite put my finger on. I remember finishing this book and feeling very content. I guess its the notion of hope and love that the whole book revolved around that made me fall in love with it. The concept of three unlikely intertwined souls who somehow managed to pull each other out of all the rubble their country was in reminds me so much of the monologue that Lana del Rey spoke in Ride, which was:

"I believe in the country America used to be,
I believe in the person I want to become,
I believe in the freedom of the open road,
And my motto is the same as ever:
'I believe in the kindness of strangers.'"
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Catcher in the Rye is one of those books that transcends through time. This was published in 1951, and 60 years later, people are still reading, and relating to the main character. The first time I read this was when I was in 9th grade, (which was ages ago) and I do remember vividly how I admired how this book was written. The style of writing is conversational which makes the reader connect with the main character even more. 

This book isn't about how Holden is this angsty teen who doesn't want to grow up. He knows that he is growing up, and he has seen the pain and difficulty a person has to go through while growing up. Holden wants to be the "catcher in the rye" because he wants to save or catch, in a sense, his little sister from falling into adulthood. And I personally think that that quality of Holden is what makes this book such a timeless classic.
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
For the final book of this list, I'd like to quickly talk about Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I absolutely love the concept of this book. (and I may or may not be biased because I love David Levithan, sorry not sorry) It revolves around two people who have similar names but entirely different personalities. I think that the whole book is just a giant metaphor in itself. This would be justified by the fact that John Green loves metaphors. *cough* tfios *cough* But anyways, I read this way back in 8th grade and I remember loving it and hating it at the same time. Read it, so you can see for yourself.

If you reached this far, I apologize for blabbering so much. 
Love u all

 xx, mielle

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for reading!

xx,
Mielle ♥

Instagram

Follow by Email

Archive